Physiotherapy in Toronto
Physiotherapy deals with the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries. Physiotherapy uses methods which include movement, biomechanics, manual therapy, exercise, and electrotherapy. This is done to help patients restore function, movement and promote holistic well-being.
Physiotherapy is used to improve a patient’s quality of life through diagnosis, examination, intervention, and patient education.
Our experienced physiotherapists provide essential education about your body, helping you determine the cause for impaired movement. Then, they prescribe personalized therapies and exercises to help you restore mobility and independence.
Physiotherapy provides lasting relief from chronic pain, whether due to workplace injury, accident, incorrect posture, or other external factors.
Benefits of physiotherapy
Physiotherapy provides relief to people of all ages suffering from different ailments, injuries or disorders. With the help of physiotherapy, you can lead a more active and healthy life. Better-known benefits of physiotherapy include:
- Relief from pain: Aches and pain in the body could be caused by a number of reasons, everything from an ankle injury while playing basketball or chronic lower back pain due to sitting for long hours at work. If the pain is impacting your daily routine and activities, it definitely needs immediate medical attention.
- Improved mobility and balance: People recovering from injuries from an accident, surgery or conditions like a stroke may become disoriented and find it difficult to get back on their feet again. In these such cases, rehabilitation physiotherapy can provide great help. It not only helps the body regain lost muscle strength and improves coordination but also helps patients move around safely.
- Prevention of/recovery from surgery: While surgery may be unavoidable in some cases, physiotherapy may reduce the need for it. A combination of exercises and therapies can eliminate pain, heal injured tissues and facilitate pain-free mobility.
- Manage age-related issues: As we age, many of us tend to develop musculoskeletal complications like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. To manage these daily aches and pain, physiotherapy can be helpful.
- Avoid dependency on medicines: While painkillers may temporarily relieve pain, the effect they can have on kidneys and liver may prove fatal over the long term. That’s why it is recommended to opt for physiotherapy to deal with chronic pain.
Who can benefit from physiotherapy?
People of all ages can benefit from physiotherapy, be it a child suffering from cerebral palsy or an elderly person suffering from osteoporosis. If you or your loved one experience any kind of ailment, physiotherapy, at the beginner or advanced level, can set you on the road to recovery and help you maintain overall physical well-being.
If you have any of the following conditions, consider looking into physiotherapy for long-term benefits
- Back/lower back pain
- Knee pain
- Joint pain
- Neck pain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Sprains & strains
- Cerebral palsy
- Sports-related injury
- Patello-Femoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS)
- Tennis Elbow
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Heel and Foot Pain
- Repetitive Strain
- Hip Impingement (Femoro-Acetabular Impingement)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Rotator Cuff Injury
- Joint Dislocation
- Frozen shoulder
- Slipped disc
- Stroke or any other neurological condition that has impaired your motor functions
- Rehabilitation after surgery or fractures
- Pregnancy-related pain in joints and muscles
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
What techniques are used?
Massage & manipulation:
This involves massaging the body’s soft tissues using the movement of hands. It is known to:
- Improve blood circulation
- Enable effective draining of fluids from parts of the body
- Enhance the movement of different parts of the body
- Relieve pain
- Reduce muscle tension
Movement and exercises:
To improve your ability to balance the body and move normally, a comprehensive exercising program is essential, which can be created especially for you to recover safely from an injury. This method of physiotherapy is designed to strengthen your muscles and joints and improve overall range of movement.
This type of physiotherapy is practiced using different stimulation like electricity or sound waves to promote blood flow, tissue repair, and pain reduction. Therapy types include:
- Interferential Current (IFC)
Very well organized. Very informed, and great client care. Congrats.😃😊🙂. Keep up the good work. Take care and stay safe.
Amazing staff at this location. I’ve done Physio here, gotten massages, and visited their chiropractor Angelo. Johnathan is amazing! I love the energy here. Very professional and they are all approachable. The front desk staff are great also. Very attentive and supportive. Thanks for all you guys do.
My profession as a Facilities Manager for a global company for over 28 years + Over the many years of my dealings with the Don Valley Health & Wellness as their client, the team are always very professional and excellent on their services that they have provided. Also the Owner and Management Team reflects their high level of leadership and quality of service expectation to their front line team. During the current pandemic of COVID-19; the team at Don Valley Wellness continue to provide exceptional virtual online support to their client's health.