Osteopathy is the field of medicine that emphasizes on manual readjustments, myofascial release and other physical manipulation of muscle tissue and bones. Osteopathy aims to restore function in the body by treating the causes of pain and imbalance.
To achieve this goal, the Osteopathic Manual Practitioner relies on the quality and finesse of his/her palpation and works with position and mobility of the tissues.
- Reduce pain & stiffness in muscles & joints
- Decrease stress on joints
- Increase range of motion in joints
- Reduce tension in the body
- Relieve tension & migraine headaches
- Adapt to hormonal and structural changes during pregnancy
How to prepare for an osteopathic session?
Wear loose clothes to make the treatment process easy. Consider wearing shorts or half pants. If you are visiting to get treated for back pain, you may be asked to take off your clothes. Women are advised to wear clothes that they are comfortable in.
What to expect at the osteopathic clinic?
The initial visit to an osteopath may last a while. Hence, it is advisable to take an appointment for when you can completely dedicate your time to the therapist. You may be asked to take off your clothes for better access and understanding of your issues. Let your osteopath know if you have any kind of discomfort. The osteopath will ask you to stretch and do simple movements to assess your level of stiffness and any underlying problem. These can be performed easily if you wear clothes that you feel comfortable in.
What are the osteopathic techniques used?
- Spinal manipulation involves the stretching and lengthening of muscles which removes the pressure on the spinal cords. This treats the herniated discs and any other muscle knots.
- Soft tissue technique involves putting a light or firm pressure on the muscles and stretching them to provide relaxation and promote flexibility.
- Counterstrain technique puts back the muscles to the normal length and tone by stretching. This releases joints and muscles gently.
What to do after a session?
Drinking lots of water after a session helps you derive the maximum benefit. It is not advisable to go back to work or any physical activity soon after the therapy session. Do not strain yourself with a heavy workout. Avoid situations which cause high mental pressure.
An osteopathic treatment enhances your mobility. You may experience a mild pain, but it will not last for more than 2-3 days. You will start feeling more energized. Overall you will be able to have a more active lifestyle. If you still feel an imbalance, it is better to revisit your osteopath.
Contact us today to make your appointment with our osteopaths for osteopathic treatment.